These Romans are crazy

Monday, November 14, 2005

Hello World

Aaaah, the dreaded blog I've succumbed to the temptation as well. No matter how hard I tried to avert my eyes from the evil tempting eye of the blog, I could not avoid it. So here I am trying to identify something that is topical, interesting, intriguing and occasionally funny :)

As I thought about the various things I could blog about, I came upon a realization (call Me the Enlightened one, the Siddhartha who became a Buddha) The realization was that throughout my life, I have been flitting and flirting with things of varied interests. Trying to classify, nay categorize these interests, I found that they all fit a pattern, but then again they do not. In terms of reading, I have gone through various phases (as probably have many others) from Enid Blyton to archie comics to hardy boys to Asterix & Obelix / Tintin to Ayn Rand to Douglas Hofstadter and other books that relate to the philosophy/science category to political discussions to Calvin & Hobbes, Doonebury, ... to Frank Miller/Neil Gaiman to Jhumpa Lahiri, Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie and various other authors of India origin or those who have written on topics relating to India There are two themes that run throughout these various phases and interests - a) Comics, Fantasy that are innovative for their time (atleast to some extent) and bring about some amount a sense of humor and imagination (beyond the norm) and b) A theme that related to my attempt at understanding who I was and what I wanted to be when I grew up. Be it Science and Philosophy as I went through school or things related to art when I was getting My PhD or things related to India as I try to find out whether Im more Indian, more American, something in between or something completely different. I guess this is part of growing up, part of trying to assimilate one's surroundings into the everyday routine, part of belonging to multiple cultures, part of evolution. But then again, I can't help but think - will I always be a butterfly - flitting from one thing to the next or will I turn into a moth and find the flame that draws me to it :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home